Building Your Kit

I remember starting as a Makeup Artist and this was something that I did a lot of research on. Your Makeup kit is one of the most important things when it comes to being a MUA (apart from your skill of course).

The most important thing I have learnt so far in regards to building my freelance kit, is that you do not need one of everything! You do not need every shade of foundation and concealer, you do not need every colour of eyeshadow, and you certainly do not need every shade of lipstick. Not only is this a huge expense, but it also takes up a lot of space. I don't know about you but I sure as hell cannot carry all of that makeup around because trust me, your kit can get very heavy very quickly!

The beauty of makeup is that almost everything is customisable! It is easy to mix different shades of foundation and concealer to create the shade that you require. This is the same with lipsticks. I love creating custom shades for my clients depending on what sort of colour and formula they desire. In order to do this, colour theory plays a big part, and it is incredibly important that you understand it! If you're wondering what I'm talking about, check out Angie Di Battista on Youtube. Angie's videos cater to education for to mua's as well as makeup lovers. Once you understand colour theory, it is very easy to work with only a few shades of foundation (and other products) in your kit, allowing you to lighten, darken, and adjust to cool/warm tones. I personally have three different types of foundation in my kit, a RCMA Cream foundation palette (which I am loooving), and two types of liquid foundations (dewy and matte). For the liquid foundations I have 5-6 different shades with a variety of warm and cool tones. From there I mix to customise the foundation shade to suit.

Another thing that I have found, is that you do not need to only stock high-end products in your kit. It is the quality of the product that is key. These days, drugstore brands are really stepping up their game when it comes to quality. Now, I am not saying go out an fill your kit with only drugstore products, but I'm also not saying only stock high-end products. My kit has a variety of both, BH Cosmetics, LA Girl ( their concealers are my holy grail), Maybelline, Urban Decay, Nars, Anastasia Beverly Hills, the list goes on. I like to buy a product and test it out on myself and see how it performs. If I like it, I'll then purchase it to add to my kit. So when you're considering stocking something in your kit, is the quality there? Does it perform well? If so, go for it!

And lastly, condense whatever you can! Firstly this saves space, but it also helps to make your kit lighter and easier to travel/be mobile with! Travel size products are great! Depot foundations out of glass bottles into plastic ones and skincare products that are in large containers into smaller sized ones (you can get travel containers from most pharmacies). Depot eyeshadows out of bulky palettes and into Z Palettes, buy products without the packaging (Mac Pro powders in pans without the packaging) and create your own palettes. Every little bit helps!

If you have any questions, I would love to hear them and give advice where I can! xx

Comments

Popular Posts