Dealing With The Downtime

Lately I have been very quiet in regards to freelance makeup - and honestly it sucks. It has made me doubt myself as an artist, which I'm sure is felt by other freelances at some point in their career. The moment I made the decision to move to Queenstown I knew that it would take time to find my feet in a new community, however I didn't think it would be quite this bad. It's a destination town for travellers and weddings, so I had hoped that it would mean I would be busy straight off the bat - c'mon be realistic here Charlotte, Rome wasn't built in a day..

However, there is hope! Queenstown is a popular location for weddings because of its stunning scenery, and wedding season is on it's way! I have reached out to a few other local artists to let them know that I have now settled down here and would love to work together if they needed assistance with any upcoming events they have, and this has already got me out of that rut! I worked with another artist last weekend for a group of family members attending a wedding. It was great to meet and chat about all things makeup and work together. I am considering myself very lucky as she has been in the industry for a long while, and has a huge amount of knowledge - I feel I am going to learn a lot from working alongside her. As well as that, I am also working in collaboration with two fantastic local photographers, allowing us to all add content to our portfolios - added bonus!

So, my advice for any other freelancers out there who are feeling similar, put yourself out there! Reach out to other artists and let them know who you are. I know that I will always recommend another artist if I am unavailable for a client, so who knows, they might pass on clients to you! You might find yourself an opportunity to work with a seasoned mua like I have, where you can work alongside each other for large events and learn more along the way. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, don't give up on your dream!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts